Monday 4 July 2011

Working on Assignment 8: Blogpost in Progress!

Well, I plan to do a Step by Step for coloring in my doggie with wings from Assignment 2, here for Assignment 8. But I am just going to post where I started, some reference, end of day 1, 2, and 3 (last day of working on it) for now. Check back later!

thanks

Leanne

Here's the black and white painting from Assignment 2 that I started with on day one of coloring it in:


I looked online for ideas of how others had painted Saint Bernards. I didn't really riff off of any of them, finally, though I decided to keep my colors fairly natural. The chicken at the bottom right is my instructor's final painting for this lesson's tutorial.


Here are my color photo references (same as my b&w desaturated references for Assignment 2, when I drew it):




And finally, this is the Jacques-Louis David painting of Napoleon crossing the St Bernard Pass (of course!) that I decided to use for a color palette inspiration:


I got rid of the initial "god through the clouds" sky background of the painting, reworked the kong and its cord, and also redid the left back foot (right side of painting) of the doggy at a different angle (suggestion of my teacher, Ryan Wood):


This is what the painting had advanced to at the end of my first day of revising the b&w painting, and coloring (mostly blocking in with airbrush):


And comparing it to my David reference: (I decided I wanted to go with the pink tones in the cloth in his painting for my dog's wings):


Here's where I got to at the end of Day 2 of colouring:


Comparing the changes between day 1 and day 2 of painting colours:


Comparing Day 2 and the David painting. Still need a lot more color saturation on mine:


Here is what it looks like as my final submission for Assignment 8, at the end of day 3 of coloring:
(hopefully if you click on it you can get a larger version and see all the textured pastel in it)


Comparing the initial David painting with my final painting for colour comparison:


And comparing the black and white image I started with on day one with the color image at the end of day 3. A bit of a change!


More step by step soon!

Thanks for reading!
Leanne

No comments:

Post a Comment