Thursday 3 February 2011

Happy Chinese New Year of the Rabbit!



Well, another quick promo piece done in Painter 11. I did the linework with the Croquil pen, a custom size to duplicate what I do with my traditional dip pen. And then I did the colors on a Liquid Ink layer below the line layer: Smooth Thick Bristle 12 variant that I changed the size and angle on. I am not sure if this is a good way to color for email and web, as the "Liquid Ink" is supposed to look like it is somewhat impasto. I think this may come out as strange pixellation when it is saved at a lower dpi and reduced in size to email out to clients and friends.

The chinese characters were a challenge. I never did find a brush that I liked, which would have been something replicating a soft round pointed brush with a thin quite liquid ink. It seemed either I got brushes without variable lines, or too much bristle (ie sumo), or that I was incapable of changing the angle, or that were too "thick" ie gouache, oils. I hate to say that after all that trying and deleting, trying and deleting, I cannot for the life of me remember which brush I ended up going with. Drat!

Well, hopefully it is fun and dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment